Apr 18

A Ramble on Decisions

This is a very short “article” today because I have been intensely involved in the health of my wonderful companion, Mandy2, the cat.

I am now faced with the question of whether it is advisable to allow her to die, rather than to suffer so badly.

She spent a week in the NE Indiana Veterinary Emergency, Specialty Hospital. She had not eaten nor drunk liquids at least three days before I began to recognize that this was happening. What she did begin about a week before this was to meow whenever she was at her food dish.

I misunderstood, apparently, because I thought she was rebelling against her dry food. So, I bought canned food; she picked at it, eating only sparsely. I guess this is when her illness could have been diagnosed had I been a more careful observer.


I believe her diagnosis of pancreatitis is accurate, but she is still very uncomfortable. For the first time, this morning she “cried” – made multiple meows and moved from the chair she occupied through the evening and entire night of yesterday.


How can I even consider letting this precious angel die? How can I even consider letting this precious angel survive only to live in pain, discomfort, and not feeling the love of her companion with sweet caresses?


My dear God, how can I make this decision?

In discussion with her doctor from the New Haven Pet Hospital, it was stated that euthanasia is only a resort if the 


decision is made through love. The only reason I could ever say goodbye to my precious Mandy is through unrelenting, everlasting love.

This is now where I must decide my answer as Mom.

An Addendum

It is now Saturday, and I have a brief respite before I need to make a decision. Her doctor from the hospital offered to take her as a patient of hers for the weekend to  determine if she will be able to survive without frequent medication.

I am, of course, the fly in the ointment in protecting her life. My age does not permit me enough capturing or holding strength to medicate her on my own. (For those who do not know the feline traits of most cats:  they will fight any attempts to hold in inactivity, whether to medicate with injections or restrain in a crate for a visit to the doctor).

This caring veterinarian, Jill Kitson, is without any doubt on my part, the exact  servant to pure love and humanity in taking Mandy under her careful analysis to see if Mandy would be able to live with me without displaying the symptoms that have caused her physical condition in the first place.

Will she be able to eat and drink without the stress that she showed in the past few weeks? Is her disease now gone? Can she survive as a cat without the symptoms that caused here hospitalization in the first place?

I end this ramble now, hoping that by Sunday evening I will have my answer. And that Mandy2 will, once more come home to Mom, who loves her more than one can imagine.


Leave a Reply